Monday, April 26, 2010

A Running Post: My Final 10 Miles





1:23 in traffic delays and 10 sec because I was going in the wrong direction!

Including these delays: 1:43:04 was my time, which is a 10:17 pace. Without the lights and the misdirection (trying to recall the above map while running was constantly on my mind!), my pace was an ok 10:08.

Not as good a pace as I was expecting, but maybe during race time I'll be able to gain some speed.

I started slow today, waking up not as early as I hoped, at 6:30am. I scoured the kitchen for something to eat, and there was no yogurt, and the bananas had seen better days. I popped in an Eggo waffle, hoping it wouldn't cause cramps. I was out the door by 7:10am.

My 1st mile split was a slow 10:00 flat. I tried to keep it slow, so that I would last through the whole run.

It wasn't raining, so that was a great bonus. I still wore my tights and L/S shirt but I didn't need gloves. It was a tad windy but that came and went periodically.

During the quiet part of my run (it was pretty early in the morning), I could hear my left shoe cracking/squeaking! It was bugging the hell out of me! Something must have tightened up when the shoes got wet weeks ago. Argh!

Overall, the run went well. I hope I'm ready for the race next week! Now it's time to taper: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday is 4 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles, respectively. I'm thinking of driving over the route to familiarize myself with the race, so I don't get so freaked out.

It's still freaking me out anyways.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog! Enjoyed reading !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Runners are so courageous! I used to be one myself, and I think it's amazing that we can cover such great distances with our own two feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always appreciate girls who run, promotes healthy lifestyle and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments! I have to say I'm continually impressed with my ability to mentally and physically take the beating that running can provide, and it's provided me with so much more than the immediate satisfaction: it's like a little challenge each time to test my will, my concentration, my perseverance.

    ReplyDelete